Interested in becoming a Seed Farm apprentice? The application process at The Seed Farm begins with a visit to the farm, where you will meet our Farm Manager/Educator and work alongside our apprentices.
Once you've decided that our new farmer training program is a good fit for you, the next step is to submit your application. Click on the links below to download an application and other relevant materials:
Number of Apprentices Selected: 6
Time Commitment: The training program entails 20 hours/week from February through the end of October. Apprentices who desire more time on the farm may apply for our "full time option," which consists of an additional 20 hours of paid farm crew time per week.
Fees: Financial assistance is available to most of our participants. The full cost of our program is $8,400 per year. Participants are encouraged to apply regardless of financial ability (see scholarship application above).
- Apprentices participate in all aspects of running the Seed Farm market garden. Duties include: greenhouse work, soil preparation, site maintenance (mowing and weed-eating), planting, cultivating, harvesting, and marketing.
- All apprentices are expected to attend weekly farm walks, field demonstrations and participate in weekly work meetings.
- Each apprentice will be responsible for managing one crop group in the market garden.
- Attend courses offered by Penn State Cooperative Extension (Exploring the Small Farm Dream and Introduction to Organic Vegetable Production).
- One year of farming experience on a diversified vegetable farm.
- The intention to start or manage a sustainable farm business.
- All apprentices are expected to have a strong work ethic, commitment to detail, ability to take direction and work both independently and collectively.
- Dedication to cooperative working and sustainable agriculture.
- The ability to work well with staff and other apprentices.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, especially heat.
- Familiarity with and access to Microsoft office programs
For more information about the program, visit our apprenticeship page or contact Lindsey Parks by email at email@example.com or by phone at 610-391-9583 Ext 16.
"This institution is an equal opportunity provider."