Thank you for your interest in working at The Seed Farm. We are currently accepting applications for a Field Manager.
Job Title: Field Manager
Reports To: Program Director
Location: Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Job Summary: The Field Manager will be responsible for following the plans and direction of the Program Director in managing a 2.5-acre diversified vegetable farm, surrounding fields, incubator sites, and other infrastructure. Responsibilities include:
- Tractor field work and maintenance, including tillage, weed cultivation, and mowing
- Manual field work, including hoeing, hand-weeding, irrigation set-up and management, pest and disease management, etc.
- Harvest, washing, and packing for weekly market, CSA and wholesale accounts; delivery to CSA drop-off and wholesale accounts as needed
- Occasionally attend farmers' market on Sundays with Program Director or apprentices
- Oversee apprentices as needed while they are in the field
- Assist Program Director with on-farm demonstrations and lessons
- Assist with on-farm workshops and field days as needed
- Occasionally mentor incubator farmers and apprentices
- Assist Program Director with winter tasks (planning, repairs, and supply ordering)
As The Seed Farm is an educational and working farm, the Field Manager can expect to engage with program participants, volunteers, and farm visitors of all ages.
Requirements: Two or more years of organic or low-input/sustainable vegetable production experience required. Solid tractor experience as related to diversified vegetable farming is required, as well as experience with greenhouse and high tunnel management, including plant propagation and season extension. Must be able to work independently, be very self-motivated and have a solid work ethic, with a sense of urgency toward farm work and a sense of humor. Must be able to take direction, as well as problem-solve independently. Must be able to work in any weather and lift over 50 lbs. Apprentice supervision/team leadership a plus. Applicants must have a valid driver's license and clean driving record.
This is a year-round position, with a seasonally variable work schedule. Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation and holidays. The Field Manager can expect to work approximately 15 hrs/wk in the winter, 30 hrs/week in the spring, and 40 hrs/week in the peak of the growing season. Daily schedule is somewhat flexible, but Saturday and/or Sunday availability is a must.
To see full job description, click here. To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references by October 1, 2015.
Internships - Fall 2015
We are currently accepting applications for a Graphic Design Intern.
Graphic Design Intern
Our Graphic Design Intern will be responsible for assisting the Executive Director with promotional materials to increase community awareness of the organization and other projects related to marketing at The Seed Farm. Tasks could include designing materials for upcoming events and farm programs, designing a new website for the organization, or other tasks as needed and/or projects that align with intern skills.
To see full job description, click here.
If you would like to be involved with our organization in a volunteer capacity, please visit our Volunteer page for more information.